I have recently recovered a Administrator Password on Server 2008 R2 last week. so I tested it at home with my Windows 7 Laptop and works like a charm.
1. Windows media for the OS you are trying to recover the Administrator password.
2. Follow my steps given below 🙂
Reboot the Server or your system with the right media CD/DVD and select the appropriate language.
I have some steps to explain you how to do it!
Click Next and select Repair my Computer
The next screen will will identify all the windows installations and highlight in my case Windows 7 which is installed on C: drive
Select the Command Prompt
Follow the steps given in the Command window bellow:
- switch to Windows\System32 and copy Utilman.exe Utilman.exe.bak ( this is just to create a backup file of Utilman.exe)
- then the most important step Copy cmd.exe to Utilman.exe
as shown below copy cmd.exe Utilman.exe then you will get a prompt say yes by ‘y’
- You should see a confirmation that one file copied
- Restart the Server or in my case Laptop.
Once the Server/ Laptop is rebooted press Windows key + U or click on the icon of Utilman, and you will see the command prompt.
give the following command to change the administrator password
net user administrator * (if your administrator account is renamed you can give that user name as I have given Ibrahim.quraishi below)
you will asked the enter the password ( the characters will not appear but dont worry as it will not show for security)
yo will be asked to reenter the password again as a confirmation.
Then you should be able to use the new password which you have set for the Administrator to login to the server.